Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How do I Mask My Emotions?

Emotionally Challenged from Reynoldsburg, Ohio writes:

Dear Chauntel,

I need to learn how to mask my emotions. People sometimes say that i look like I'm about to cry, and when I get embarrassed, I blush. I don't like that people always seem to know what i am thinking. Apparently, I have certain facial expressions for everything. It is really annoying, and I need help! Do you have any advice?

Hello Emotionally Challenged,

Embrace your ability to show your emotions. It is much better to express yourself then to keep your emotions hidden all together. There is a beauty in being open and honest, most people are not.

However, I do understand your frustration. This is who you are, but you can do things to make yourself feel more comfortable in these types of social situations.

I would suggest taking yourself out of positions where you will have to expose your emotions.

Before you get emotional walk away, or turn your head. Distract yourself with something instead of giving a reaction. (ie. open your purse and look for something, begin to fix your hair, look at your nails)

Learn to control the facial expressions you use. Practice a "straight face" in the mirror, or simply smile to mask your emotions.

However, honesty is always the best policy and there is nothing wrong with being real about how you feel, so don't worry about it too much.

I hope that helps,
Chauntel
askchauntel@gmail.com

www.askchauntel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment